Hyderabad - Socially Clustered
Hyderabad; Culture; Life;
This evening, I stood looking at an aerial view of Hyderabad. Lots and lots of lights and I was thinking, it isn't exactly a small city. But for a city its size, it's seriously devoid of interesting people. I mean you find one in like ages, but the proportion is vastly lower than in a more cosmopolitan place like Delhi or Bangalore. It's not something I found out today, have known it for some time now. However, I was reflecting (yet again) on this attribute of the city.
Is it possible, was the thought. I know there's like a major IT focus and all, so most of the people you tend to meet are IT people. Does that mean that the city hardly has interesting people or is there severe clusterisation in this city, cliques which aren't breaking as they normally would. I would believe so.
Another attribute of this city, possibly a reason for the clusterisation is the scale at which young people have moved out before or immediately after their graduation. This could have in turn been caused by the poor undergraduate level education in this city. So you have under 18s who're still in school and even if interesting are far too young for me, then you have a major void in the 18-24 age group, formed mostly by those who wanted to move out but couldn't for one reason or the other or those who simply don't care if they stagnate. Over the age of 24, are people who were in the prior category a few years ago or have moved in because of the IT and ITES boom in the city, very skewed.
Highly clustered for on the one hand you have extremely ambitious people (also known as geeks) and on the other you have people who are apathetic to pretty much everything around them and ne'er the twain shall meet. One would assume that with such a major influx of population, there should be an interesting mix of people to choose from. Somehow, that hasn't happened, probably because of the drastic skew in the industries growing here. Contrast that with a Delhi or a Mumbai, and here is the scenario I usually quote. In Delhi, if you're at a Barista, any 10 people sitting there would represent at least 5 different professions, whereas in Hyderabad, 9 of them would be IT guys talking about how .NET is way cooler than Java. I like technology and I think .NET is cooler than Java too, but can't I get a break from it if I want to? Or do I HAVE to get out of this city for one?
I don't know if it's healthy for the city's growth or not, but it definitely isn't for me.........
This evening, I stood looking at an aerial view of Hyderabad. Lots and lots of lights and I was thinking, it isn't exactly a small city. But for a city its size, it's seriously devoid of interesting people. I mean you find one in like ages, but the proportion is vastly lower than in a more cosmopolitan place like Delhi or Bangalore. It's not something I found out today, have known it for some time now. However, I was reflecting (yet again) on this attribute of the city.
Is it possible, was the thought. I know there's like a major IT focus and all, so most of the people you tend to meet are IT people. Does that mean that the city hardly has interesting people or is there severe clusterisation in this city, cliques which aren't breaking as they normally would. I would believe so.
Another attribute of this city, possibly a reason for the clusterisation is the scale at which young people have moved out before or immediately after their graduation. This could have in turn been caused by the poor undergraduate level education in this city. So you have under 18s who're still in school and even if interesting are far too young for me, then you have a major void in the 18-24 age group, formed mostly by those who wanted to move out but couldn't for one reason or the other or those who simply don't care if they stagnate. Over the age of 24, are people who were in the prior category a few years ago or have moved in because of the IT and ITES boom in the city, very skewed.
Highly clustered for on the one hand you have extremely ambitious people (also known as geeks) and on the other you have people who are apathetic to pretty much everything around them and ne'er the twain shall meet. One would assume that with such a major influx of population, there should be an interesting mix of people to choose from. Somehow, that hasn't happened, probably because of the drastic skew in the industries growing here. Contrast that with a Delhi or a Mumbai, and here is the scenario I usually quote. In Delhi, if you're at a Barista, any 10 people sitting there would represent at least 5 different professions, whereas in Hyderabad, 9 of them would be IT guys talking about how .NET is way cooler than Java. I like technology and I think .NET is cooler than Java too, but can't I get a break from it if I want to? Or do I HAVE to get out of this city for one?
I don't know if it's healthy for the city's growth or not, but it definitely isn't for me.........


2 Comments:
Awesome post. And a very interesting observation. I completely agree. There does seem to be a alck in variety here. It's all IT people and the whole city seems to be built for and geered towards the migrant geeky population and the laid-back lotus-eating others.
There does seem to be some support industries picking up lately, but not enough to make a dent in the skewed distribution.
AB
Post a Comment
<< Home